13 febrero 2016

CAUSE, REASON, RESULT AND PURPOSE CONNECTORS



CAUSE OR REASON CONNECTORS  (CAUSA O RAZÓN)

v  BECAUSE (PORQUE)  + ORACIÓN (SUJETO + VERBO + COMPLEMENTOS)
e.g. I took an aspirin because I had a headache. 

v  BECAUSE OF / DUE TO (DEBIDO A , POR…) + SN (DT + ADJ + SUST) / -ING VERB
e.g. I took an aspiring because of / due to my headache.

v  SINCE / AS (YA QUE, PUESTO QUE) + ORACIÓN (SUJETO + VERBO + COMPLEMENTOS)
e.g. Since / As I didn’t have any money, I couldn’t go to the party.


RESULT CONNECTORS (RESULTADO)

v  SO (ASI QUE) + ORACIÓN (SUJETO + VERBO + COMPLEMENTOS)
e.g. I had a headache, so I took and aspirin.

v  THEREFORE (POR LO TANTO) + , + ORACIÓN (SUJETO + VERBO + COMPLEMENTOS)
e.g. I had a headache. Therefore, I took an aspirin.


PURPOSE CONNECTORS (FINALIDAD)

v  TO / IN ORDER TO / SO AS TO (PARA) + INFINITIVO   (Sujetos iguales)
e.g. I work    to / in order to / so as to   earn money.

v  SO THAT (PARA) + ORACIÓN (SUJETO + VERBO (MODAL) + COMPLEMENTOS) (Sujetos diferentes).
e.g. I work so that my children can have a good education.


INTENSIFIERS: SO /SUCH (TAN)

v  SUCH + (A / AN) + ADJECTIVE + NOUN.
e.g. He was such a boring speaker that nobody paid attention to him.

v  SO + ADJECTIVE
e.g. The speaker was so boring that nobody paid attention to him.


INTENSIFIERS: TOO  /ENOUGH

v  TOO + ADJETIVE (DEMASIADO) e.g. He is too short to be a basketball player.

v  ADJECTIVE + ENOUGH (SUFICIENTE) e.g. He isn't tall enough to be a basketball player.

REWRITING EXERCISES ON CONNECTORS

1.   The children stayed at home because it was raining.
- As __________________________________________________________________________________
2.       We won’t buy that house because we don’t have enough money.
- As __________________________________________________________________________________
3.       The children couldn’t go out to the playground because it was raining.
- As __________________________________________________________________________________
4.       We bought our tickets on the Web because it was much cheaper.
- Since ________________________________________________________________________________
5.       I felt really tired so I stayed at home.
- I stayed ______________________________________________________________________________
6.       As it was Friday, the children stayed up late.
- The children __________________________________________________________________________________

No hay comentarios: